Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tech 3 confirms Japanese MotoGP attendance


Monster Yamaha Tech 3, which runs Colin Edwards and Cal Crutchlow, has become the first MotoGP team to announce that it will definitely participate in the Japanese Grand Prix.

Despite a recent report concluding that the radiation risk at Motegi - around 110km from the damaged Fukushima powerplant - is 'negligible', many leading riders are yet to make a final decision on whether they feel it is safe to attend.

A Tech 3 statement released on Saturday at Brno read: 

"After carefully considering the findings of a detailed independent report commissioned by Dorna into the possible risk of radiation contamination in the area surrounding the Twin Ring Motegi circuit, Colin Edwards, Cal Crutchlow and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team can confirm that unless there is a change in circumstances, they will compete in the Japanese MotoGP race on October 2."

Meanwhile, Edwards and Crutchlow will start Sunday's Brno race from eighth and eleventh on the grid.

Edwards made good set-up progress on Saturday.

“I'm much happier today with the performance of the bike and I need to say a big thanks to my crew again for their incredible work," he said. "Yesterday I just wasn't comfortable at all and had no feeling with the front or rear of the bike. I told my crew what I was feeling on the track and it is up to them to interpret that and try and improve the bike. And today they did an absolutely awesome job and I had a much better package."

Rookie Crutchlow lost places after a late crash.

“I'm happy on one hand because we made a big change to the bike to help it turn better and it was a really good step. But I'm a little disappointed on the other hand because I made a silly little mistake that probably cost me the chance to get on the third row," he said. 

"We were making some good progress with the new front set-up and I was faster in the first two splits than my previous best lap when I just ran in too hot at Turn 10. I should have just ran into the gravel but I tried to make the corner, squeezed the brake a bit harder and down I went."

source: crash.net

No comments:

Post a Comment