Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gresini: Interesting negotiations at Brno


San Carlo Honda Gresini team principal, Fausto Gresini, is expecting a busy time on and off-track this weekend at Brno.

The first race after the summer break, the Czech Republic round marks the traditional start of the 'silly season' - and there are also the 2012 1000cc rules to refine.

"The Czech Republic Grand Prix is bound to be an interesting one for the future of MotoGP with a lot of negotiations ongoing, but our goal is to carry forward the Simoncelli project with the same professionalism as always," said Gresini.

Marco Simoncelli has proven to be a match for anyone over one lap this season, qualifying on the front row at six of the ten events (including two poles).

Although Simoncelli's race day performances have been marred by a series of mistakes, he remains in high demand for 2012 and recent rumours have linked him to a possible factory Ducati ride.

The Italian's first choice is sure to be retaining factory HRC status at Gresini, but with present Repsol rider Andrea Dovizioso likely to want a similar level of factory support next year much will depend on how many RC213Vs Honda is willing to run.

Either way, Simoncelli's bargaining power would be massively increased if he can finally claim a debut MotoGP podium.

"After a wonderful holiday in some fantastic American parks I go to Brno looking for the best possible result," said Marco. "We have to focus on the second half of the season and try to score some positive results. 

"The circuit suits my riding style even though I didn't go so well there last year in MotoGP. I have won there before in the 250 class and I have also been on pole and on the podium in 125. Overall it is a track I like and I hope to do well. "

Team-mate Hiroshi Aoyama, also out of contract at the end of the year, will be making his first Brno MotoGP start after being injured last year.

"The result at Laguna Seca [tenth] wasn't particularly pleasing but I still wasn't in good physical shape so now after this break I hope I am in better shape and form at Brno," said Aoyama. "I need to rediscover my confidence in myself and in the bike. 

"It will be my first MotoGP appearance at Brno because I was injured here last year so it will be a new experience but I like the track and I was on the podium here in the 250cc class in 2006, as well as finishing fourth in 2009. I have the motivation to do well this weekend."

source: crash.net

No comments:

Post a Comment