Sunday, August 7, 2011

Versatile Hopkins ‘much better prepared’ for Brno


John Hopkins says he cannot wait to make his return to the MotoGP paddock in the Czech Republic, where he will be making his second appearance for Rizla Suzuki this season.

The American is enjoying a remarkable career revival this year, just twelve months after a wrist injury almost forced him into retirement, Hopkins finding a good base in the British Superbike Championship riding the Samsung Crescent Suzuki.

It is a move that currently sees him in the midst of the BSB title battle, while it also allowed him to compete on the World Superbike stage over the weekend at Silverstone, Hopkins going on to stun the regulars by claiming pole position.

Indeed, with Hopkins returning to BSB duty at Brands Hatch this weekend before heading to Brno for a one-off outing at the Czech Republic Grand Prix, he joins an elite band of riders to compete in three different series' in a single year, let alone three consecutive weekends.

Coincidentally, former team-mate Yukio Kagayama has a similar feat to his name, while he can even boast a fourth series having squeezed in the Suzuka 8 Hours event over a course of nine weeks.

“This has been an incredible run of races for me and it is a pretty big deal to do three different championships in three weekends! I know Yukio did it in 2003 and carried on with an amazing run of nine consecutive races, I just have no idea how he managed that! 

“It was good to get back to World racing last weekend at Silverstone, we did ok there, but I think we deserved a little better after qualifying on pole. We'd know how to get a better race distance result if we went back now! The weekend was a boost for all of us as it showed we are good enough to be there.”

Reflecting on his upcoming MotoGP wild-card, Hopkins – who stepped in for the injured Alvaro Bautista on the Rizla Suzuki at the Spanish Grand Prix earlier this season – is delighted to be getting out on the premier stage once more at the circuit he scored his best-ever MotoGP result of second in 2007.

“This week at Brands will be busy as we have three races over two days, so there will be little time for rest and relaxation, but the BSB title is my main goal this weekend so I am totally focused on that. Then we go to Brno for the MotoGP race, it's a really big pleasure to be given this opportunity by Suzuki and I am going there much better prepared than when I rode as a replacement at the start of the season.

“It's an amazing thing to be in this position when I consider where I was at with my physical condition just a year ago, and I'm so grateful to everyone that has helped me to get back to a decent level. I just hope that from these three race weekends I can produce some quality as well as quantity to repay the faith shown in me. One thing I can guarantee is 100 per cent commitment!”

source: crash.net

No comments:

Post a Comment